A couple of years ago the 009 Society sales stand were selling large numbers of these van bodies for very reasonable prices. (I think they may have been 50 pence or £1 each). I can’t resist a bargain and I brought three of them!
They have sat in a drawer for two years, but they’re nice mouldings and it seemed a pity not to use at least one of them.
A chassis was required and so I turned to a Peco N Gauge chassis (NR-121). There are quite a lot of mouldings on the underside of the van. I cut the chassis so that it would fit between the mouldings and be as close to the floor of the van as possible.
In the end I had to remove quite a lot of the chassis. Here’s the cut-away chassis next to an unmodified one.
Worried that I might have weakened the chassis, I used generous quantities of expoy glue to hold it in place and provide some additional strength.
Thankfully the glue wont be visible when the van is running!