With the track in place, I was keen to test it.
Wiring up the point motor is quite easy. Cobalt point motors can be powered from the DCC power supply used to power the track. All I had to do was run two wires (black and red) from the power bus to the point motor. I soldered the wires to the power bus and connected them to the spring loaded terminals on the point motor.
You can use DCC commands to change the point, however I like control panels with switches to control points. (Call me old fashioned…) Cobalt provide built in terminals for ‘manual’ point operation. I connected two wires (yellow) to a ‘push to make’ switch and connected these to the terminals on the motor.
I decided to remove the point motor from the baseboard and test to see whether it worked.
As you can see from the video, it worked well.
I mounted the point motor back on the baseboard and completed the wiring.
To power the frog I connected the wire from the frog (green) to the purpose built spring loaded terminal on the point. That was easy.
Finally, to power the track in the head shunt, I soldered the dropper wires from the headshunt to the DCC power bus.
Now for a real test with a loco!
Again, I’m really pleased to say it worked!
I am definitely no electrician, I’ve never used Cobalt point motors or DCC before, and everything worked first go.
I’ve earned a beer 🙂