My O9 (On18) version of the tool van on the Kirklees Light Railway is progressing well.
Before I assembled the components I checked to see if the bogies fitted correctly. I designed the van to use Peco GR104 bogies. These bogies are quite long, but the van is rather short. The rear of the bogies touched one another when they ran around sharp curves.
Peco GR106 bogies are slightly shorter and didn’t foul one another on tight curves. However I needed to move the retaining holes for the bogies closer to the ends of the van body to ensure the couplings were accessible.
I designed and printed a new floor for the van and it was straightforward to assemble the four sides and the floor. It was beginning to look like a van 🙂
Next I created a false chassis from some plastic ‘C’ section and four rectangles of plasticard. At this stage I added some small brackets to guide the bottom of the sliding door, like those on the prototype.
The interior of the van needs some tools and clutter. I brought these whitemetal tools from Scale Link who are still operating in ‘lockdown’ (Thank you for that!)
The figure is a cheap model from ebay. I don’t like the way he’s painted and I tried to remove the paint with ‘Strip Magic’ but this paint is very strong stuff….. I’ve given the figure a light sanding – hopefully the new paint will stick!
The next job is to spray everything with primer. I do all my spraying outside, so I’m waiting for a day when it is not too cold and not raining. It’s winter in England – I may have a long wait 🙂